Pages

Friday, November 28, 2008

Kickboxing Kicked my A$$


Wow, so I went to the Kickboxing class I talked about the other day. It is in Kaneohe, at the Smith Tae Kwon Do center. They let me try the class out for free to see if it would be something I am interested in. I can see why. It is pretty tough. It was cool though. It's not like a cardio-kickboxing class where you're dancing around kicking and punching towards yourself in the mirror. You split up with a partner for the whole class and you wear boxing gloves and punch the pads your partner has. It was a great workout, you do both the punching and the holding of the pads and you take turns. We did a ton of kicks, and you actually get to kick and punch hard. It's amazing the difference between punching the air and landing a punch on one of those pads. So I think I'm going to pay the money and take this class twice a week. If I don't lose weight after I start taking this class it definitely means I'm eating too much. The class was two days ago and I am so incredibly sore. My hips are in major pain, but it's the good pain that you feel after you haven't used a muscle for a while and now you've woken it up. You also do a lot of sit ups in this class. And pushups. I'm curious to see what the next class is going to be like. I think there are two things I really dislike about this kind of class. Well, it really boils down to one thing: Sweat. Sweat in your gloves that you keep taking off and then when you put your hands back in, you feel all your sweat in there. The other thing is you actually grab your partner around the neck, swing them around and do kicks on the pad. This means you have to touch your partner's sweaty neck and get real close to their sweaty head. Gross. I tried not to think about it and once you get going you don't really notice it, but still, gross.

My partner kept telling me to stop "fencing" I think I was doing the cardio kickboxing punches where you kind of leap around and dance and fully extend your arm. Of course you're supposed to really scrunch up and protect your head from your partner. And you want to punch quick and pull it back to protect your head again. It'll take some practice to change that.

I am not really seeing any results and I'm sure I didn't lose any weight. I did the class Wed night, played tennis Thursday morning, but then it was Thanksgiving so I ate all day while I waited for dinner and then ate a ton of turkey and pie and brussel sprouts. Then we drank wine and went in my friend Mike's hot tub. It was a great day, but now I am sore from Wednesday's class and feeling fat.
Here's to sticking with my pre-New Year's Goals!
This week: Today- use new jump rope and at least jump for 5 minutes. Tennis tomorrow morning. Hopefully a hike on Sat or Sun. Monday- kickboxing class, Tuesday- tennis, Wednesday- NOTHING, Thursday- kickboxing class, Friday- NOTHING again.
Oh and start training for the Great Aloha Run soon. Have to start the walking distances now.

1 comment:

Serrissa said...

That class sounds fun, except for the sweaty neck part. I ran 5 miles on the treadmill yesterday at the gym. I was surprised I made it 5 miles since I haven't ran in a while. Took me 44:48. Then I did some weights. I want to try to run 50 miles before the new year.
Thanksgiving was rough. I ate so much that the next day I weighed 130 pounds. That's the first time since August 2007 that I hit 130. But I got some healthy food since then and I am down to 125.5. Damn cookies and deviled eggs. Now I have to go to a birthday party today and then a cookie exchange next weekend. Damn holidays need to be over already. It's hard with all this stupid food around.