Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sneaking in Healthy Habits for June

This year I've gone back and forth from being really, really healthy to spurts of allowing myself to eat and drink whatever I want.  I've been meditating on this, and it seems that it may be because I go cold turkey and haven't been going slowly and taking baby steps like I used to.  It's been all or nothing.  So in June I'm going to slowly start adding in the good habits, but not being too crazy about the rules.  I am just going to focus on one or two things at a time until they become good habits and then move to the next.  Some of the habits I am going to focus on:

Avoiding Grains- from the Paleo challenge in January I realize this is a very healthy habit for me. 
Eating more vegetables- This is how I will replace my grains
Avoiding Alcohol- this one is pretty obvious. 
Drink more unsweetened tea and water- this is how I will replace the alcohol
Avoiding Sugar- I wanted to focus on grains first because it's my first major evil, but sugar is my second.  This includes sugar added to sauces, creams, bacon, and everything else delicious out there.  So I will be consciously looking at all of my ingredients lists and choosing the items without sugar added.
Make my own sauces- this is how I will avoid sugar in sauces
Make my own desserts- this is how I will avoid ice cream and other desserts
Avoid processed foods- these just have junk in them. 
Buy more fruit and make my own snacks- this is how I will replace processed foods
Avoiding soy- I kind of do this already, so I'll just keep this one in mind.
Avoiding legumes- This will be my last to add back on.  I generally do stay away from the legumes, but until the other habits are in place, I won't focus too much on this one.

The first goals I am going to focus on are the first 4 (two really that relate to each other).  These will be the hardest, but the most beneficial.  I will work on them until they feel comfortable and easy.  Could be a month, but I'll check in.  I already started today.
Avoiding grains and alcohol and replacing them with more vegetables, water and unsweetened flavored tea.  And packing my lunch with these items to I don't get caught at work without healthy substitutes.

1 comment:

Serrissa said...

"Make my own desserts"....can't wait to taste some of these!