Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 29, One More Day or the Beginning of Something New?

So for the last 29 days I have been eating like a champ.  I accepted the Whole30 Challenge with friends from New York.  Meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts.  No alcohol, dairy, grains, sugar or legumes.  Some sweet potato.  I have been eating for energy, eating for health, and listening to my body instead of giving in to cravings or starving myself.  The beginning was hard.  That's for sure.  Try smelling pizza and not having any.  But I made a commitment, and I will forever be grateful that I did.  I feel freaking awesome.  I lost 6 pounds this month.  Not because I was trying to, but because my body likes what I'm eating.  I am not hungry, I'm full all the time, I eat a huge breakfast, a pretty big lunch, and a medium sized dinner.  I actually eat more than I think is necessary, and still I lost 6 pounds.  But, like I said, it's not about the weight loss, that was just the icing on the cake.  First of all, my abs look great.  The best they've looked, ever I think.  Even in high school.  In high school, I was in shape.  I exercised a lot.  But I ate a lot of bad shit, and now I can see the difference.  I workout hard now, but not as much as in high school.  My legs actually look good.  I know most people have that body part that no matter how much weight they've lost or how in shape they are, it just never seems to match the rest.  My legs were that.  I remember looking in the mirror lifting weights in early college, with Angela and noticing that I looked great- except my legs always seemed stocky.  I figured that was just me.  Which is fine for me.  I love my legs, they were just stocky.  My legs are not stocky right now.  Pretty cool!
My energy during my workouts has been phenomenal.  Not the crazy energetic highs that I used to get.  More like a steady drive through the whole thing.  My body gets tired, but not a give-up tired.  More of a, yeah, you've been working your muscles hard, but you can work them a little harder tired.  I was told several times this month that I've been like the energizer bunny at kickboxing.  I keep up a hard pace.
So... The thirty days are up tomorrow.  What's a girl to do?  It seems pretty obvious.  Keep going.  I am going to stick with this lifestyle.  I look at some of the food that I used to eat, and I know now how poisonous it can be for your body.  The processed stuff, the sugar added stuff.  Even a lot of the "health food" stuff.  I don't want to be an asshole to people and tell them what they're eating is wrong.  But I also don't want to eat it now.  It's more of an emotional connection to things like ice cream, chocolate and bread.  These items will be for special occasions only- maybe.
Anybody reading this, feel free to comment.  I would love to have others join me in my journey to health.  It feels good and I want to share the good feeling.

1 comment:

G1 said...

I have stocky tree trunk legs. I'm proud of them. They're strong. :)

I'm now on Day 32.....and still on 100%. It's actually scary that I could eat something non-paleo. I'm literally not ready for it. I'm staying on until I can sort out what I prioritize what non-paleo things I strongly want/need in my life. I can't deal with the freedom - I'm afraid I won't know where to stop!!!