Pages

Friday, November 16, 2007

Alcohol- The Devil on my Diet's Shoulder

I have discovered that I can eat pretty darn healthy without too much of a problem. I enjoy the taste of healthy food, I like to cook, and if there's not too much junk food in the house I don't eat too much junk. However, I have a huge weakness- wine. I love to have a glass of wine with dinner. Unfortunately, once I have one glass of wine, I want to have a second glass. With a little bit of wine, I lose all of my willpower to not overeat. It's pretty much automatic. Not only do I lose my sense of fullness, but I also get a hankering for chips, cookies, and chocolate. It's a terrible thing. I think I would have lost the last 10 pounds a long time ago if it weren't for wine.
Anyway, it's not that I drink wine every night. I do have a glass a few times a week. Unfortunately that's too much if I want to stay healthy and not gain back all the weight I lost. So I've been trying to replace a tasty glass of wine with other calorie free drinks. There's tea, which is a good substitute most of the time. It's actually been a great replacement for both Nate and myself. There's diet pepsi, but that has caffeine so it's really not something you should drink too much of late at night. There's the obvious glass of water, but for some reason it's just not as delicious. So, other suggestions? I'm not really into the calorie free juices. I think there's more to a glass of wine than the taste, it's all about the bottle, the glasses that you use when you drink it, it's more of an atmosphere thing than the taste.
This week:
Yesterday I went to a "Total Body Conditioning" class at the Y. I'm going to try to go to that class again next Thursday, it was really good.
Saturday morning- paddling at 8am and then Yoga if possible.
Monday- running
Wednesday- running
And No Wine. All Week.

3 comments:

Arin said...

Okay, this is NOT classy BUT you could start to make spritzers (ie add Club Soda to your wine). You could also just make yourself a little fancy drink with Club Soda, a little low-cal juice, and a wedge of orange or lemon... And put it in your fancy glass! We drink tons of club soda and Andrea's been enjoying the Sprite Zero although I think it's a little gross.

Serrissa said...

Isn't there calories in Club Soda?

Serrissa said...

Find a low calorie wine
http://www.dietbites.com/Low-Calorie/low-calorie-wine.html
also make sure you minus out calories when you drink wine, that way it's a choice(wine or a little more food). This way you realize that you can't have both. And you will limit yourself because drinking 150 calories is okay but drinking 300 you'll decided you want to eat those calories instead.
The holiday's are hard and I am having a hard time with Josh and his mom here and eating so damn much and going out to eat. I need to get into the gym. Have not been in a month now. I feel bad cuz Josh doesn't have a membership and he wants to go too.