Pages

Monday, February 9, 2009

The Dreaded Plateau

After last weekend I started to do really well with my health goals. I didn't drink, I worked out several times over the week and was overall feeling pretty darn good about myself. However, this weekend we had a barbecue and I thought I'll just have a beer and ended up having several. Which isn't terrible, but when I drink I way overeat. I ended up eating tons of chips and ice cream. Then I decided last night that I needed to have ice cream with cheesecake filling on top of it. Might sound gross, but was totally delicious. I am assuming the short walk with my dogs afterwards did nothing to balance out my calorie intake/use. This week I am not going to drink during the week again, but I know that this coming weekend is valentine's day, so I'm not going to make any promises about not drinking over the weekend. Nate and I do have a pretty healthy menu written down for this next week, so I shouldn't eat too poorly. Again, I need to plan ahead for the weekend. I seem to sabotage myself every Saturday/Sunday so whatever good work I've done over the week is completely negated. I go into every weekend 2 or 3 pounds lighter and start back at square one every Monday. If I could even just get through a few weekends I would be better able to meet my goals. I am thinking that after this coming weekend (valentine's day) then I don't have any special holidays until Nate's birthday on March 31st. That's a little over a month. I am planning on not drinking for that time period. I may even have a count of my "clean and sober" days like they do for AA. If anybody wants to join my support group, I can put up a counter for us on my blog page. We can count our clean and sober days together.

1 comment:

Serrissa said...

I'm clean and sober two days in a row and down 2 pounds! So I read once about the "no excuse rule" basically there in no excuse to eat terrible. Not the weekend, no holiday's, no valentine's Day, etc. Because of course these "special" days happen to come up ALL the time. So if you make a no excuse rule then you can do better.
I don't know, it seems hard. However, I have been good for a few days and I am already down a few pounds. I know if I keep it up for a few more days I will be down a few more pounds. I figured if you can make it through 2 weeks you can make it through a life time! Okay maybe not a life time, but you know what I mean.
I think you should try to make a 8 day goal, that way it won't feel like you are trying to make it through the weekend, you are just trying to make it 8 days. Then of course you are already back in the week where it's easier.
Anyhow,I ran/walked 4 miles yesterday. My knee was fine but man I was tired and breathing hard. It was hard and it shouldn't have been. I drink less water now because I don't have time to pee i school. However, last night in middle of the night my knee hurt and I took a motrin. So I am going to run tomorrow after and school and see how it goes.
I found a friend to go to the gym with sort of. She is in my weight lifting class and she goes to the rec center (gym at school) after class so I go with her. We don't do the same thing but still nice to go with someone. I usually leave before her too so I can beat traffic home. Some Monday's I work and can't go.
We mark me down for 2 clean and sober days. I did have a chocolate cover strawberry today but I totally added it in to my calorie intake.
Oh that was another thing I wanted to say. When you plan out your meals, leave a little cushion just incase you fall off. I say plan for less rather then the right amount, so if you go over, it isn't that big of a deal.