Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 12!

I am loving eating like a cavewoman!  My body feels really good right now.  It is amazing when you eat well how your body thanks you by not tormenting you with intense cravings, stomach cramps, and major highs and lows with how you feel.  I did feel really exhausted the first week, so I can see why people might not make it that far, but it's totally worth it.  It was a challenge to find good food to replace what I was used to eating, but I am happy with my choices.  This is definitely not a diet, it is a lifestyle.  It has made me scrutinize all of the labels of things I eat.  My husband tried to get me McDonald's this morning and he got me scrambled eggs.  Before I ate them I looked online for the ingredients.  There is very little actual food in them.  So, sorry hubby, I didn't tell him, but the eggs and sausage went in the trash can.  I had some turkey bacon- I told him it didn't fill me up, so I needed more.  How sad that even scrambled eggs can't be just eggs.  Eggs aren't expensive and they last long enough that McDonald's should be able to keep them fresh.  But the turkey bacon filled me up enough to last me to a snack- I still like to do 6 small meals instead of the big 3, and I'll have some mixed nuts and some of the dried fruit I bought yesterday.  I was able to buy a bunch of frozen fruit too, which used to go bad before ( I ate that little fruit) but this should get me through to the next shopping trip.  I am amazed that I don't feel famished.  Not that I'm not eating alot, but I am not eating anything that used to be "comfort" food.  Food that mentally filled me up and satisfied.  No fried, or really starchy things.  And I'm not missing them.  Sometimes when I smell something that I used to really enjoy or something that previously came with good memories, like pancakes I do tend to salivate a little.  But, I know that it's the associations I make with those foods, not the food itself.  The food itself fills you up at first, but you are hungry soon after.  It is junk that goes into your stomach, but doesn't nourish you.  I feel now like I'm taking care of my body and it appreciates it.  (My stomach also looks damn good, by the way) 
I encourage anyone who reads about this to set a goal for a month and stick to it.  If nothing else, even if I went right back to eating the way I did before, I have learned so much about what is in the food I've been eating and how much better I feel when I don't eat it.  I encourage you to do it with friends and support who will keep you on track, check in with you and share your misery for the first few days.  That was huge.  I knew that many people were feeling like ass at the same time, and it wasn't just me.  I'm hoping some of the folks that I'm doing this challenge with will continue eating the same because it will give me inspiration to do the same. 
Last night's dinner, super tasty- Hamburger with salt and pepper over a bed of steamed cauliflower, carrots and broccoli, with a fried egg on top.  I also poured a little coconut milk over top, although that was unnecessary.  I just am finding myself pouring coconut milk over everything these days. 
I am finding that I don't need to count calories because I'm not mindlessly eating.  I'm not coming home starving, so I don't feel like I need to raid the fridge.  All in all, I'm just excited to finally be eating healthy again.

No comments: