Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Going Paleo for 30 days

You may know by now that I am pretty incapable of coming across a challenge and not giving it a try.  So far the only two challenges that I am pretty sure I will not do include a Marathon- since a Half-Marathon messed up my knee, and sky-diving.  And sky-diving is not a certainty, who knows, maybe someday I'll feel up to it.  The latest challenge was brought to my attention by my bestest friend Jennifer from New York.  She has been inspiring lately as she has gone from eating only boxed macaroni and cheese, deep fried mozzarella sticks and deep fried chicken (everything dipped in Ranch Dressing) to eating healthy and organic and now to doing a Paleo 30 day challenge.  She has been getting more and more fit doing Crossfit with Hudson Valley Crossfit and is now way more in shape than I've ever been.  I'm super impressed and proud of her.  I've been following along as she and her crossfit family have been preparing for and supporting each other for the Paleo challenge.  It sounds intriguing and is similar to dietary changes I have been working towards for a long time.  The funny thing is, recently I had been contemplating whether I have a food allergy, for reasons I won't go into now.  The Paleo challenge will help me figure that out, since you cut out all grains and dairy.  After the 30 days you one by one, introduce "forbidden" items back into your diet.  If I do have an allergy then I will know when the food is reintroduced.  If I don't, I can decide whether or not I want to continue to eat those foods. 
I decided last minute yesterday that I was in for the challenge.  Luckily my diet has been heading in that direction for a while, so I had many foods available for me in the fridge.  It was not an ideal lunch that I packed for myself, I know that I need to stop at the store for some better foods before I head home. 

For breakfast: 2 eggs, scrambled, as always
For daily grazing: almonds, turkey and mustard, and raisins. 

The raisins I've discovered are not a great option because of the sugar.  I'm okay with not being perfect this first day, especially considering I didn't know I was doing the challenge until 5pm last night and was way too tired to do any food shopping after kickboxing. I brought along a can of tuna, in case I am hungry later, but I don't think I will be.  If I graze all day and am busy like I have been today, and will continue to be until 4:30, I'm generally not too hungry.  I think it was good to just jump right in it and toss the food that I can't have for the challenge.  The yogurt went in the trash :( but it's okay it's a healthy lifestyle decision.  I am very hopeful that yogurt will treat my body well when I reintroduce it, cause I really love my plain yogurt with nuts and berries.  And I do love my whole wheat oatmeal.  Right now that's in the freezer, it won't go bad in a month, and I'll see if I can have my oatmeal with berries back in my life.  My coffee it turns out, is pretty darn tasty black.  It makes a difference when you drink good coffee versus Folgers or fast food coffee (although McDonald's coffe is surprisingly delicious out here in Hawaii).
I made a list of food to grab after work and we'll see how things go! 

No comments: