Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Positive Thoughts

So I was the only one who showed up for the run today. It was a good opportunity to experiment with the mental techniques of using positive self-talk and affirmations. I had read an article not too long ago about coming up with phrases to say to yourself during your run such as "just put one foot in front of the other," or "you can do it," or "keep going," etc. It talked about some of the mental techniques that we can use. Tonight, I used a phrase that I've used that I stole from Josh. Myia will know what I'm talking about- "good for her." Basically Josh was looking at "bigger" girls who were running and commenting on the fact that at least they were getting out there and exercising. For some reason that one has stuck with me. I also at certain points during the run repeated that I am strong and fast. Sounds cheesy writing it down, but during the run it made me feel strong and fast. I would recommend these two techniques for sure. When I felt like running slower I told myself that I could slow down later, but I was going to run fast for now. It worked pretty well. Anyway, I ran 4 miles in 37:17. Not extremely fast, but for me it was the first time since paddling that I actually ran the whole 4 miles instead of jogging part of the way. This weekend I'm going to run 6. Hopefully I can actually run the 6, not jog part of the way.
My goal continues to be not gaining any weight. This has turned out to be quite a struggle after Dr. Rezentes gave us cookies for Christmas. I immediately ate 5 of them. I think it's because I don't buy cookies for myself and I just went totally overboard when I gave myself permission to eat one. I'll just keep eating them until they're gone and I will continue to not buy any for myself. I think Christmas will be a challenge, I know there is a lot of candy and cookies going around the office, but after the holidays I'll be back to normal.

No comments: