Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Feeling Very Primal

Yesterday I watched the Discovery Channel special "I, Caveman, Back to the Stone Age and The Great Hunt."  Two episodes of 10 people that are sent to live like cavemen for 10 days.  It was pretty well done, of course there was a lot of focus on any whining and a lot of what I assume was the good stuff was edited out.  However, after 7 days and everyone is starving, they go off to hunt an elk.  It was extremely moving.  It is the only time I've ever actually felt compelled to watch a killing like that.  I can't watch lions hunt on those wildlife shows, but I had to watch as they speared a huge elk, and then dressed it using stone age rock weapons.  It was really sad, and made me think about where the food I eat comes from.  It gives you a whole other perspective.  For me this was more moving and powerful than those movies where they show the horrible conditions of slaughterhouses and stuff.  It was really dirty and, well, primal.  It made me look with more appreciation on farms that raise and slaughter animals humanely.  It is much easier to block out those scenes of dirty cows all crammed into a small room than to block out the eyes of the elk as it died.  


Anyway, the point of all this is that it gave me a boost to think about the food I'm putting into my body.  It made me feel a little more connected to being a human being whose ancestors had to walk for miles to chase down an animal with sticks.   

No comments: