Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

Brussel Sprouts Recipe


Not 100% sure how healthy this recipe is, I'm sure I could look it up, but it's a great way to eat Brussel Sprouts, which for some reason, my husband decided we needed to have. Okay.
What you need:
Couple tablespoons of olive oil.
Brussel Sprouts- halved or quartered (Can use frozen sprouts, they just come out as a softer end product, which is frankly also quite tasty.)
Parmesian cheese- 1/4 cup, or to your taste
Balsamic Vinegar- 1 to 2 tablespoons
Salt and pepper to taste.

1. Cut brussel sprouts into halves or quarters. (Halves for smaller sprouts, big sprouts you can quarter.)
2. Add some olive oil to a frying pan on medium heat.
3. Add brussel sprouts and cover the pan. I try to get the flat sides to touch the bottom so I get a crispy touch to it, but if you're in a hurry you can just toss them in. Also, be careful when adding them to hot oil, they tend to have a lot of water in them and you will get a lot of oil spraying if it's too hot.
4. Set your timer to three minutes and don't touch! Let them sit, they will get crispy on one side and when they sit long enough the unstick themselves from the bottom of the pan.
5. Take the top off and stir, or do what I like to do, and leave the top on and shake them up. Then leave them for another minute or two. I've found this last round is not as important as the first. I have done less time and had a little less done sprouts or I've left them on for a lot longer and gotten softer sprouts. This part is up to your taste.
6. Sprinkle the parmesian cheese on. This is from a recipe I found online. I also like to add smoked Gouda cheese.
7. My husband thought the original recipe was bland so he suggested adding balsamic vinegar. I thought that it sounded gross, but he has a really good feel for what spices or flavors to add to something. I threw on some vinegar the second time around and Voila! Delicious!
8. Salt and pepper to taste.

Keep in mind that the measurements are just a guesstimate. I tend to throw things together and hope they will work. I always taste throughout the process and my measurements often change depending on how I feel and the freshness of the products I'm using.

No comments: