Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Make Substitutions

Along the lines of substituting healthier food into your diet rather than starving yourself, I found this really great article on Web MD called "Thin Foods." It talks about healthy foods that actually have the tendency to help people lose weight. None of them are "magic" foods, you need to supplement eating these foods with exercise and continue to work on portion control. Some of the tips I knew about already- like eating eggs for breakfast instead of cereal. I have 2 eggs for breakfast every morning. When I told my doctor this a while ago, she took my blood levels because she was worried about cholesterol, but my levels were more than fine. Two eggs fills me up for a long time in the morning. I usually have to remind myself to eat my first snack at 10am because I'm not feeling hungry yet. Another idea is to throw in some salsa or something spicy in the eggs (I want to start trying that this week). One of the tips was to eat more spicy food. I did not know that caffeine is NOT the ingredient in green tea that helps you lose weight. Apparently it's the antioxidants called catechins. I always thought the antioxidants were just a bonus. There is a lot more great food ideas on there, but this week I am going to add just two to my diet and try to make them a part of my healthy living. Later I would like to start adding beans to my diet, buying different kinds of nuts (pecans, walnuts) and possibly experimenting with tofu.

This week:
Eggs for breakfast, but add salsa.
Green tea after my dinner in the evening.

Tonight- kickboxing, tomorrow- I might take the day off, Saturday morning- tennis.

website: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/15-foods-to-help-you-lose

3 comments:

Serrissa said...

I snack on almonds but you have to be very careful to measure them out because 1/3 or 1/4 cup is close to 200 calories, but they are good. Unsalted Raw Almonds. Or unsalted roasted almonds.

Unknown said...

That's why it's not high on my priority list. I can't snack on those and continue to eat the way I have been. Although what I read was that people who snack on nuts tend to eat less for other meals, which is why they are suggested. Did you read that article? I really thought it was good.

Serrissa said...

I breifly read it, but when I was snacking on nuts I was doing really good with counting calories and was really thin, so maybe there are right.